Art in various forms: a return.

And now, for a more personal post.

I haven’t touched watercolors since high school.  I took a course in oils in college, and I’ve been using pencil and ink on and off over the years.  But watercolors had been my media of choice back in the day…

You see, I used to draw and paint almost every day.  When I started to prepare for college and then actually go to college, my desire to create visual arts waned.  I hardly made anything.  I felt so out of place at my university–I was one of the few students there who had attended a large California public high school whereas many of my classmates had attended East Coast private college prep schools–that I wasn’t inspired to draw or paint.  I felt dry.  I felt dry for a very, very long time.  My inner critic had my inner artist by the throat and choked nearly every idea I had before it even had a chance to make it out on paper.

After I moved to Columbia, I decided that it was time for the critic to go away.  I wanted a space in which I could create without judgement, a little creative sanctuary.  I set up my drafting table in my bedroom, under a window as it used to be in my high school room.  I bought a swingarm lamp with a clamp that attaches to the edge of the table so I can work late into the night if I so want.  I stopped in at a newly opened art store here in Columbia, S & S Art Supply, and bought a set of fine-line rendering pens, because I love detail work.

Yesterday, I treated myself to a set of tiny water colors and a pack of nice synthetic hair brushes.

For the first time in a while, my inner artist is very happy.

And since this blog is about making myself say and express things that I find a little scary to share, I’ve posted photos of my recent art.

Untitled.

Untilted.

Detail

Untitled.

Untitled

Detail

Flower

Flower

Flower - Detail

Flower - Detail

You created such lovely patterns and overall, these drawings look so organic.

I do enjoy making art (watercolor is def my fav medium) but I find that I lack motivation. I have all the supplies and time I need but I just don’t pick up the brush. Don’t know what to do with myself.

“I felt so out of place at my university–I was one of the few students there who had attended a large California public high school whereas many of my classmates had attended East Coast private college prep schools–that I wasn’t inspired to draw or paint. I felt dry. I felt dry for a very, very long time. My inner critic had my inner artist by the throat…” <– Me too.

These are so beautiful. Congrats on making it back here.

So lovely!

One of the best parts of my “creative recovery” was rediscovering my love of drawing and painting and being able to do it again, just for my own pleasure. Do they have Dr. Sketchy’s down there in Columbia? It’s super fun!

These are gorgeous! I did some flash tattoo art that I sold while I was in high school, some similar line based organic designs..you should consider it :) (if you want, and if that won’t ruin the joy of creating, of course)

I love your style. I’ve been drawing again too, drew 4 pages last night. Forgot how therapeutic it is.

yep, me.

I get everything you’re saying. I gave it all up after high school. Maybe because of a lot of painful stuff that was going on at the time. I wanted to go to the Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD), actually. Parents wanted me to stay in-state. Never dreamed I’d ever live so close.

I’m afraid that I really, really suck now. Every now and again, I’ll get out my pencils, and start drawing–but these now-and-agains are years apart. And I see it, and my critical eye disapproves.

And my critical eye disapproves, and disapproves.

…and this is literally the third time I’ve tried to post this.

I get everything you’re saying. I gave it all up after high school. Maybe because of a lot of painful stuff that was going on at the time. I wanted to go to the Savannah College of Art and Design 9SCAD). My parents wouldn’t let me go out-of-state. I never thought I’d end up living so close.

I get out my pencils now and again. I don’t get far, because I look at it, and think the lines aren’t right, the faces aren’t realistic enough. Flaws, flaws. My critical eye sees everything, and it is unforgiving.

And my critical eye sees everything, everything.

Wow!

Just – WOW!!

These are beautiful (and I would to love to buy something like the flower one if you ever want to sell :-)

these are really gorgeous. i love them all, but especially those eyes in the top one. mezmer-eye-zing.

Don’t stop! Beautiful outcome to what is happening “for” y o u.